The Heat are “not working toward” Chris Bosh’s return and the team believes his time in Miami is over, president Pat Riley told reporters Monday.
The Heat announced that Bosh failed his physical last week and that there was no timetable for his return. The veteran forward has been sidelined for the second half of the past two seasons due to blood clotting. He has been lobbying recently to return and said he would “absolutely” be ready for training camp.
Riley also said that the team is more concerned with with Bosh’s wellbeing than the salary camp ramifications of the situation.
“His health, playing and economics—it's been health, health, health,” Riley said, according to the Sun Sentinel. “Whatever the cap ramifications are, they are there, but we never ever thought about that.”
The Miami Herald reported last week that Bosh’s condition is not life threatening if he receives treatment, but it remains unrealistic that he could continue his basketball career.
Asked Monday if Bosh’s career was over, Riley replied, “That’s up to him.”
Bosh has refused to speak with Riley for several months, The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski reports.
Bosh has three years and $75 million remaining on his contract.